Causes Behind Many Chicago Car Accidents
Chicago is one of the busiest cities in the nation and it comes as no surprise that its roads are home over 200,000 accidents every year. The Chicago car accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers routinely represent the interests of clients whose injuries were the result of driver carelessness, reckless behavior or simple negligence. Understanding the most common causes of accidents doesn’t only allow us to represent our clients more effectively, but also helps us educate the public on the issues that impact the safety of our roadways the most. It is likely that every single driver can improve his or her habits and reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident.
Distraction Among Most Common Causes of Accidents
Advances in technology have allowed us to connect with more people and bridge great distances and to get more done throughout our busy lives. Unfortunately, this has come at the cost of safety and many of us have become so dependent on our devices that we allow them to interfere with other aspects of our lives. Studies have shown that you are less likely to get into an accident under the influence of alcohol than you are while sending a text message behind the wheel. Next time you think about taking a phone call or reading a text message, remember that the person on the other end can wait and will do so willingly if it means you arrive at your destination unharmed.
Here are the most common causes of accidents for you to consider.
- Driving while tired or fatigued. While this is a major concern with truck drivers, it also applies to motorists who choose to take to the roads over long distances without giving themselves adequate breaks or rest. There are many similarities between drunkenness and tiredness in that your vision, ability to make decisions and reaction time are all impacted in a similar manner.
- Driving while distracted. Talking on the phone, sending a text message, doing your makeup, eating and drinking while behind the wheel are all examples of distracted driving and studies are finding that distraction is becoming the cause of more accidents each year.
- Influence of drugs or alcohol. One of the most irresponsible decisions you can make is to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or controlled substances. It places yourself and everyone else on the road at great risk. Alcohol is a factor in the majority of fatal accidents and debilitating injuries, as drunken driving accidents tend to be much more violent and serious.
- Weather conditions. Rain, ice and snow contribute to many accidents in Chicago each year, but our Chicago auto accident lawyers have also noticed the impact of the sun on driving accidents. The morning or early evening sun can cause blinding glare and make it difficult for drivers to see traffic lights or the taillights of the cars in front of them.
- Speeding and reckless driving. Speeding is a major factor in many accidents and negligent drivers are often in a hurry and found in violation of multiple traffic laws. This makes them liable for any property damage or personal injury that results from their poor decisions.
Contact Chicago Car Accident Attorneys to Help You With Your Case
If you have been in an accident that was not your fault, you are most likely entitled to compensation for the value of your hospital bills, ongoing medical care, lost wages, pain and suffering and more. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is one of the most highly respected personal injury firms in Chicago and has helped thousands of clients receive the damages that they have deserved following their auto accidents. Contact us for a free case review so that we can review your legal options and let you know how we can maximize your personal injury claim.
If our Chicago accident attorneys are unable to secure damages on your behalf, you will not be required to pay us a penny for our services. Schedule your free consultation today so that we can go to work on your behalf.