Chicago Accident Attorneys for Head-On Car Crashes
Head-on collisions are among the most dangerous forms of auto accidents and are responsible for numerous fatalities every year. The Chicago car accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have represented many clients whose severe and catastrophic injuries were the result of another motorist colliding with their vehicles head on. It is our primary goal to help each of our clients obtain the care that they need to be able to move forward with their lives and to ensure that they will not need to be subjected to the burden of expensive medical bills and out of pocket expenses by holding the people responsible for their injuries liable.
Secret Service Crash is a High Profile Example of the Dangers of Head-on Collisions
On December 29, 2015, a man died after he crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a vehicle carrying four secret service agents. He was transporting two passengers, who were both transported to the hospital with all four of the agents in the other vehicles. The secret service agents were reported to have suffered very serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.
Further investigation revealed that the at fault driver had an extensive criminal record and did not have a valid driver’s license at the time of the accident. While the accident highlights some of the dangers that secret service agents must encounter on a regular basis, it also underscores how serious head-on collisions can be and how rapidly things can go wrong when a driver exits his or her lane of traffic and moves toward an oncoming vehicle.
The Causes and Types of Head-on Accidents
Our Chicago auto injury lawyers have noticed that while there are variable factors that contribute to every accident, about nine in ten accidents are the fault of at least one of the drivers involved. If so many accidents can be prevented, then it is the responsibility of every driver to do whatever is necessary to keep the roads safe for others. Following are the main causes and types of head-on collisions.
- Adverse road conditions. Weather can make the roads more difficult to travel, reduce visibility and throw debris into the path of unsuspecting drivers. Potholes, poor lighting, inadequate or non-existent lane markings and poorly designed medians and guardrails can also contribute to accidents.
- Accidents at intersections. There are a variety of factors that can contribute to accidents that take place in the middle of intersections. A traffic light may be malfunctioning, a driver may misjudge the distance and speed of an incoming vehicle prior to turning left, or a hurried driver may make a turn without making sure it is safe to do so.
- Driver distraction. Technology is quickly becoming one of the leading causes of serious accidents. Too many motorists are attempting to multitask behind the wheel and despite advances in safety technology; more drivers are being killed or seriously injured in accidents. The data is showing a link between the rise in texting and talking behind the wheel and increases in collisions.
- Multi-car accidents. In these accidents, one car may force another car into the opposing lane where it strikes an oncoming vehicle. This is common at intersections when a left turner is rear ended or when a vehicle entering the path of another is struck in the intersection and sent in the direction of oncoming traffic.
- Sleep deprivation. Commercial truck drivers are often overworked and under-rested. While this groups receives the greatest amount of attention for fatigued driving, others can slip behind the wheel on a minimal amount of sleep as well. Nobody who is overly tired and has difficulty concentrating on the road should operate a vehicle until he or she has rested.
- The influence of drugs and alcohol. Many head-on collisions are the fault of drunk drivers or motorists who are driving under the influence of a drug or controlled substance. There is simply no excuse for the reckless behavior of operating a vehicle while under the influence of a mind altering substance and these drivers should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.
Have Your Head-On Auto Accident Case Reviewed for Free by Experienced Attorneys
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is an award winning personal injury law firm that has helped thousands of clients recover the damages they were entitled to following injuries suffered in car accidents. The violent nature of head-on collisions makes them some of the most catastrophic and deadly cases we handle. If you have suffered severe injuries or lost a loved one in one of these accidents, we understand your need for justice and will work tirelessly to ensure that you are able to receive the medical care you deserve without taking on an undue financial burden.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our highly qualified Chicago car accident attorneys so that we can collect the information we need to evaluate your case and review your legal options with you. Our lawyers will never ask for payment upfront and work solely on a contingency basis. This means that our services will not cost a thing unless we are able to recover damages on your behalf.