One of the leading causes of debilitating injuries in the city of Chicago is car accidents, and the injuries that can result often vary in severity from minor scratches to fatalities. The Chicago car accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have encountered many different forms of injuries when representing clients harmed in auto accidents, but the high cost of medical care is that all of the cases seem to have in common. An estimation of the economic value of injuries caused by car crashes is over $277 billion across the nation every year, so it is easy to understand why an accident can have such a negative impact on your finances.
The Most Common Car Accident Injuries
Every accident is as unique as the individuals involved and factors such as the speed upon impact, weather conditions and the location of the incident can all have an influence on the injuries suffered by everyone involved. Most of the injuries seem to fall into several categories, however, and are similar to those we have listed below.
- Trauma to the head and brain. These injuries are silent and deadly because the majority of those who suffer a traumatic brain injury feel fine immediately following the accident. You may feel like refusing medical care if you feel fine, but our Chicago auto accident lawyers advise against that. Seeking medical care won’t only identify an issue you didn’t know existed, but will protect your interests in a personal injury claim. TBIs can range from mild concussions to severe swelling or micro tears in the brain that may cause serious neurological disorders.
- Injuries to the back and spine. These injuries are quite common due to the bucking motion that occurs when your body is thrown forward and then snapped back by your restraints or the airbag. Common injuries include ruptured or herniated discs, nerve damage that may result in reduction of sensation or inability to move an affected limb. The most serious injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis from the location of the injury down.
- The blunt force exerted on the chest or sternum during an accident may result in serious internal injuries such as a collapsed or punctured lung, internal bleeding or damage to the heart. Internal bleeding can be difficult to detect without diagnostic testing, which is yet another reason always to seek medical attention following an accident to rule out all potential concerns.
- Broken bones and injuries to joints and ligaments. Our instincts cause our bodies to move into the worst possible positions prior to an accident when we realize a collision is unavoidable. We tense our legs, place our hands in front of our face and try to brace ourselves upon impact and this can result in torn muscles, joint damage and complex fractures.Speeding and reckless driving.
- Disfigurement and lost limbs. Most often due to lacerations from broken glass or metal debris, these injuries can result in severe infections as well, which threaten the patient with septic shock. Waking up to realize you’ve lost a limb is shocking enough without having to worry about additional medical concerns.
An auto accident can also result in emotional trauma and make it difficult for the victim to ride in or drive a vehicle again. The financial impact may cause undue stress on the family as well, especially when medical bills mount while the victim is forced to stay home from work. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers understands your need to facilitate your physical recovery and will work to take care of your financial needs so that you do not need to endure any additional stress that could make your recovery more difficult. Our auto accident attorneys have expert knowledge of Illinois traffic laws and extensive experience securing the financial compensation our clients have needed to pay for their hospital care, ongoing medical treatment, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Get Legal Assistance for Your Chicago Car Accident Injury Case Today
Contact us now to arrange a free consultation with one of our award-winning Chicago car accident attorneys so that we can review your case and go over your legal options together. It is important to retain legal representation quickly due to limitations on the length of time you have to file a lawsuit, so it is in your best interest not to delay. We will fight on your behalf to collect every penny you are entitled to under law, but if for any reason we are unable to secure compensation on your behalf, our services will be completely free of charge.